We NEVER use poison! Poison can be toxic not only to rats but to your children, pets and local wildlife.
Poison is an ineffective form of controlling rats in your attic. Yes, rat poison will kill attic rats but it isn’t instant and it won’t kill all the rats.
Rat Cleanup And Control
Here is what generally happens – When a attic rats eat poison they don’t die instantly. In fact, it may take several days and several doses of poison to actually deliver a lethal dose. And, not all of your attic rats will even eat the poison. When a rat actually does ingest poison the effects are usually slow. Eventually, the rat suffers with internal bleeding and hemorrhaging. When the rat is sick it is vulnerable to predators and could be eaten by other animals such as dogs, cats and predatory wildlife. When an animal is sick and injured it instinctively seeks a safe place to rest and recover away from other predators. Accordingly, sick rodents may hide themselves away in walls of your attic. When the rat eventually dies it leaves behind a horrible stench and rotting carcass usually in a hidden, hard to reach place.
Poison is not a permanent solution – After the existing rodents have been killed new rodents simple fill the void and the cycle begins again. Anyone offering to fix your rodent infestation with poison is probably more interested in signing you up on a monthly or quarterly treatment program. They know that poison doesn’t eliminate the problem and that you will just keep calling them back and paying them over and over again. Don’t believe it ask them for a warranty.